Friday, February 26, 2010

Child vs Work

This week has been a struggle that I think most working moms face with every child. James woke up in the middle of the night, struggling to breathe and in an all out fit. We were able to calm him down and return his breathing to normal. Of course, Matt and I had him sleep with us after the episode, just so we could make sure he was truly all right. The struggle I am referring too happened in the morning. James seemed alright when he woke up. Not his happy go-lucky self, but no fever and really no cough. So, we sent him to daycare and I went to work.

The whole day I fretted, thinking I should have stayed home with him. I even called daycare to check in on him during the day -- yes I am one of those moms. Its such a hard decision that many working moms face everyday, should we stay home with our somewhat sick children or do we wait until they get worse.  It breaks your heart when you have to send them to daycare when they are a little sick.  You want to be able to nuture them back to health, but that is not always possible.  Its hard to sit at work and not feel guilty.  That said, I think these situations are making both James and I stronger.  James is learning, not the way I would really want him too, to somewhat deal with colds and not to breakdown, and I am learning that both of us are stronger than I think.  I am not able to keep him in a bubble and he will get sick, and will have to have colds at daycare.  I believe this learning process is awful but will make us stronger in the end.

At the end of the day, James struggled with his temper in the morning at daycare (mainly due to a sleepless night) but after his nap he seemed to be a happier baby. So, we made the right decision. He was fine, even though I spent the whole day with my stomach in my throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment